Thursday, June 15, 2006

Summer Ball Has Started

Well, with the spring season finsihed, and summer beginning, summer baseball has begun. I umpired two high school summer games this week, both behind the plate. They went pretty well. I'm trying to use a bigger strike zone, and it's working. Tuesday I was at South Albany, and no one really complained. Last night was another story. You'd think I was calling strikes in the dirt, and after they hit the backstop. Of course that wasn't the case. I'll agree that it wasn't a "spring" strike zone, but it wasn't that God aweful, either. I'm feeling very good now about my game, though. I think I'm where I want to be in terms of my tracking, and hustle. I knew with some hard work, I would work out the kinks I was having early this spring, and I have.


I leave tomarrow night, Friday the 16th, for San Bernardino to instruct at the Junior Umpire School. I'm getting pretty excited about this. My dad decided he wanted to ride down with me to Berkeley, where I was planning on stopping to visit family, and then fly home. So, he will be with me roughly 1/4 of the journey. It will, of course, be a very long drive, but I don't mind. I like driving. I'm a little over a month away from my tournament now, and the excitement is finally setting in.


I got an e-mail confirmation from Doug, the Chief Umpire for the tournament, confirming my hotel reservations, and asking for a short bio from me. Debbie, our district administrator and tournament coordinator, also let me know I'm getting pins from the district to trade with other umpires and players. They have a bussy week planned for us, and it will be pretty exciting.


I'll post another update after I get back from California detailing how my week went down there. Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home